Sunday, October 4, 2009

Where Does the Time Go?

I've been saying this a lot lately....Where does the time go?  I've never really been an on time person (just ask my family & girlfriends!!), but now it's real bad!!  What I thought would take an hour-more like 2 hours, etc...kind of funny-hopefully I will learn soon to get it together!  But it is all GOOD!  It seems like I just posted yesterdy, but my last post was Thursday!! 

Well-now when the boys introduce themselves to someone-they are just using the names they asked for-Joseph & Peter.  I still call them by Yoseph & Fitmakes me sad and we probably won't officially change names, but I do ee their point and understand why they want American names.  Maybe we'll do those names as their middle names-we haven't fully decided. We also found out their official birthdates-(the ones on their birth certificates are from the adoption agency) and Yoseph has a birthday coming up 11/5-he officially turns 14.  Fit will be 9 on 5/14.  We will definitely celebrate on these dates-even though birth certificates say otherwise. They are special days and we always want them to remeber where and who they came from.

Well-Yoseph has officially turned into a teenager in a matter of days!!  I hve no idea how this happened, but it just did.  We were going to a church Family Fun event on Friday evening and he was like-"Mom do I have to go-it will be no fun".  Then he asked for a mobile phone...kind of crazy, huh??  He tried to convince me that someone else adopted from Ethopia his age has a phone already. I told him-When you turn 16-we'll think about it!!  Then the IPOD craze....we have to limit his time on it.  It's so funny-I feel like I am at school with my middle school kids!  Really-he is doing well and picking up so much more English and using it so appropriately! 

Fit is doing well too!  He loves video games and we have nicknamed him"Easy, Fit"-he hears it so much from us-he is so hard on everything (maybe just the way boys are) and we are trying to teach him to be easier on things.  He is quite social and really enjoyed church family night-he went in the bounce house and played a bunch of games.  You could never tell he's only been in US for less than a month!  He jumps right into everything!  He is doing much better with sleeping too-he was having nightmares for a little while and didn't want to sleep at night. 

Both of the boys want to go to school so bad!  We are planning school for next week-Dr's visit this Tuesday and then vaccinations and blood work, etc...  We also go back to Dentist on Wednesday. I'll post some more pics this week. 

People have been asking me-if it is what we expected and how are we doing.  It's so surreal.  We have been waiting and preparing for 2 years now for kids from Ethiopia and we think we were as prepared as we could possibly have been.  But really-you never know until you are in it!  Is it hard-absolutely, but by far the most rewarding thing we have ever done!  We just love them to pieces!

4 comments:

Renee said...

I just love hearing all about these guys! Sounds like you're all doing great :) LOL about the mobile phone.

Julie said...

Sounds like you are having great fun. We gave Wendemagegn and Beza new American names (that they chose w/ some guidance) and then we let them choose which they wanted to go by. Wendemagagen has chosen Luke but Beza chose to stay w/ Beza. I still call him Wendemagegn 90% of the time though and he's okay with that. It'll take time I guess.

SisterMom said...

Haha! Jackson does have a cell phone! With as much soccer and basketball as he plays it was a necessary evil.

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad you're all doing well. Of course, it's NEVER easy. But it's all about having realistic expectations and taking one day at a time and loving your kids for who they are! You are both awesome parents!

Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker