Tuesday, October 6, 2009

They are Growing and Growing and Growing....

What a day-full of Dr's, shots and bloodwork!!!  The boys did great at the Dr's-they were great with the boys too-shots and everything!  We thought the bloodwork was going to be the worst-they laughed through it-Yoseph was making fish faces as if the were sucking all of his blood out and Fit just giggled the whole time!  So I guess they are eating well-Yoseph gained 8 lbs in 2 weeks and Fit gained 4 lbs.  It was funny-we took them to breakfast afterward and Yoseph loves breakfast (eggs, bacon, potatoes) and he kept saying-now 12 lbs!  They are somewhat particular about wat they eat, but when it is something they like-they eat a lot of it!!  Yoseph asked today if they could Western Union him some Injera from Ethiopia-we cracked up.  We have Western Unioned a few tims lately and he picked it up from there-pretty clever-I wish they could-they miss injera and our local ET restaurant is almost 2 hours away (not so local).  Next best thing-we ordered it on-line and it will be here Thursday-hopefully it will satisfy them!

We took them to the batting cages after the Dr. since they did so well and they had a blast.  I will post a  few pictures-they were doing pretty good hitting!  We are going to try and get them in a soccer league this week-we'll see! 

I don't think I have posted in a  few days, so here is a quick re-cap.  We started them on daily chores last week with an allowance and it is working quite well.  They are definitely motivated by earning money!  They have a daily check sheet with all of their chores and responsibilites and they earn a certain amout for each item.  Going much better than we expected-they seem to like having specific jobs-for now anyway! 

I also took them to a local school to use their Rosetta Stone-they were flying through it-it really is amazing how much they know.  Academics is definitely not an issue-just language and vocabulary and they have already made so much progress in that area. I'm sure school will still be a struggle because f the language barrier-but they will be immersed in English all day long and will pick up so much!  They will start school on Monday-Yoseph is a little nervous b/c the school is big and he is very serious when it comes to school-but he will do fine.  Fit is pretty social and will get along well.   They will both be going to school with Dave so that makes me feel so much better-huge sigh of relief!!

One more funny thing-Yoseph made a Ethiopian dish for lunch yesterday and they wanted the leftovers for dinner tonight  (I don't remember the name-but it was carrots, cabbage, onions, and potatoes and ET spices).  Dave and  have been craving shrimp so we figured it was  a good time to make a shrimp dish for us and maybe the boys would taste it.  Yoseph wouldn't even try it-almost gagged.  Fit attepted to twice-He didn't like the smell so he held his nose and tried to take a bite-I will post the picture-it was hilarious.  So no shrimp-but we did have fish last night and they loved it. Maybe next time....

The last picture I have to post is just something to laugh about- I have this posted on the top of the toilet bowl and since I am overtaken by males-I have to remind them of this!!!

Off to another dentist appt. tomorrow...poor kids and all these appoinments.  More later....









3 comments:

Julie said...

That would be Ethiopian Cabbage & Potatoes - a favorite at our house. I love it.

Love the smelling thing too. Beza is a smeller. She will come in while I'm cooking and stick her nose right over the pot and take a big whiff. If she doesn't like the smell we have a hard time getting her to try it. Needless to say we try to keep her out of the kitchen until it is ALL cooked.

One day at school they were doing a lesson on the 5 senses and they made the kids eat food with their eyes closed and their nose plugged. I can't remember what it was they made her eat but it was something she normally didn't like but she liked it - knew it was the nose causing the trouble :-)

Rebecca said...

I just love reading your updates on the boys! I'm so happy things are going well for them!

Bennett said...

So So So Sweet!!!

I love the updates and the pics

when you have time pls email me your address, I have something for the boys

lessycurls@aol.com

Celeste

Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker